A Jewish town Ostroh
John Thomas James, Journal of a tour in Germany, Sweden, Russia, Poland in 1813-14. Vol. 2, London 1819, pp. 377-378.
(...) we had no alternative but to proceed to our next station at Ostrog, a place that was once enlivened by the residence of the Dukes of Ostrogski: it is now a Jewish town, sheving only a few remains of its former consequence, in the ruins of its monasteries and the relics of its fortifications. The country hereabouts began to assume an appereance of fertility; there were some few meadow lands, and the rest, where clear from wood, was generally cultivated with grain. The houses on the road side were built of wood, in some instances, however, covered with plaster, and all certainly in far better condition than those we had seen on the other side of the Dnieper: the accomodation too afforded us at the inns was every where excellent, and the venal Jews usually surrounded us as the stranger in crowds with samples of their articles for sale, giving to understand that money would command every thing (...).