The beginnings of photography in Poland date back to 1839 when the news of the daguerreotype reached the country. Photography quickly got popular, and near the end of the 19th century professional photography salons grew in numbers fast. In some towns there were even several of them. It is worthwhile to pay attention to the fact, that the photographer's profession was usually taken up by Jews. The activity of itinerant photographers was an extraordinary social phenomenon of the break of the 19th and 20th century in Poland. They travelled the province and offered their services as photographers. No documents on the topic remain, which is why their photos are the only evidence of their activity. Currently the memory of these photographers is being brought back, but many of them remain unknown or forgotten. Because of the aura of mystery and uniqueness surrounding the black-and-white prewar photographs, it is worth it to learn something about them. We kindly invite you for a journey in the footsteps of local photographers.
Once a town, today a village, it is the seat of a gmina in bielski powiat, in Podlaskie voivodeship. Orla, situated on Wysoczyzna Bielska, is located a fair distance away from the more important routes – 5 kilometres to the South there is road 689 from Bielsk Podlaski to Hajnówka, 6 km to the South–West road 692 Bielsk Podlaski–Kleszczele, 2 km to the North an inactive since the 1990s railroad Lewki–Hajnówka (PKP station Orlanka). The larger towns in the area are: Bielsk Podlaski – 12 km North–West, and Hajnówka – 21 km West. The voivodeship's capital – Białystok – is located around 57 km to the North. From the West and South–West, Orla is surrounded by river Orlanka (a tributary river for Narew).